Janyce Marie Houser, “Jan”, passed away on April 19, 2020 at the age of 72. Janyce McConville was born in Knoxville, Iowa on May 15, 1947. Jan is preceded in death by her parents, Ed and Jo McConville; and survived by daughter, Michelle Houser, grandson Dylan Hollins, and granddaughter Emily Hollins, brother Mike McConville (Lois) and sister Mary Evans (Mike).
After moving to Phoenix in 1956, she graduated from St. Agnes Elementary School, North High School and attended Phoenix College. She would later give birth to her daughter Michelle and begin her long and illustrious career at American Express, where she would retire in 2013 after 45 years. Throughout her life, she participated in the St. Patrick’s Day tradition of the McConville floats and traveled far and wide, from Japan to Australia.
In retirement, she was an indispensable part of the St. Gregory Elementary School, St. Mary’s High School, and Xavier College Preparatory communities supporting grandchildren, Dylan and Emily. Jan volunteered in the Creighton School District coordinating volunteers and reading two days a week with first grade students. She had a love for sewing, quilting, and knitting with several projects always in the works. Jan had a dear network of extended family and friends with whom she would routinely spend time and celebrate. Jan is fondly remembered for her clever renditions and spectacular gift of connecting with those she encountered and loved.
A Funeral Mass will be celebrated at 11:00 A.M. on Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church, 4715 N. Central Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85012. Interment will follow at the St. Francis Catholic Cemetery in Arizona. In lieu of flowers, memorial gifts in Jan’s memory can be made to Catholic Education Arizona. Condolences and Hugs from Home may be expressed at www.whitneymurphyfuneralhome.com
- I am so sorry for you loss. I met Jan at one of the McConville … by Janet McConville
- Why I loved Jan, I always smiled when with her. Loved her … by Joan dewane
- The moment you laid eyes on her all you could see was her … by Cammie and family
- My Sincere Condolences .❤ Jan was a Wounderful Friend and the … by Celeste ,Ray and Family
- Dear Ones – – Though I was blessed with knowing Jan for … by Susan V. Jones
- Dear Michelle and Family: Experience Corps Phoenix is so … by Yvonne Pastor