Art died peacefully in Phoenix, AZ. He was born in 1927 in Milwaukee, WI. His parents were Polish immigrants, Joseph and Placyda Grochowski. After graduating from Pulaski High School, nine months later, he was drafted into the US Army, serving in Japan during World War II. After returning home, he completed his Civil Engineer Degree at Marquette University. He then worked for the City & County of Milwaukee and married Marsha Kaminski in 1954.
In 1962, with four young children and Marsha, he relocated to Phoenix, AZ and started a new job in Phoenix, AZ as the City Engineer, retiring in 1990.
Preceding him in death were his parents, three brothers, Connie, Rev. Edwin, and Walter, and oldest son Mark.
Art is survived by his wife Marsha and children, Gary, Alan, Tricia – married to James Farmer, Jean, and Glen – married to Cynthia Brown. Oldest son, Mark, died in 1999. Also, grandchildren Billy, Sam – married to Heidi, Joseph, Jimmy Farmer, step-grandchildren- Amber, and Heather, great grandchildren, Glen Farmer and Harper Grigg.
Art was generous, humble, selfless, devout, and the best husband, father, and grandfather ever. He will be so missed.
“God needed another Civil Engineer in Heaven”.
- Monday 8/30- Visitation 5pm and Rosary 6pm at Whitney & Murphy Funeral Home, 4800 E. Indian School Rd. Phoenix, AZ 85018
For those unable to attend in person the Monday 8/30 service will be live streamed at https://www.facebook.com/WhitneyMurphyFH/live/
- Tuesday 8/31 – Visitation 9am and Mass 10am at St. Agnes Catholic Church, 1954 N. 24th Phoenix, AZ 85008
- Burial at St. Francis Cemetery to follow Mass – 2033 N. 48th Phoenix, AZ 85008
In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to St. Vincent De Paul.
- It was an honor and privilege to have met Art. I loved talking … by Linda Bryner
- Dear Glen, I could not meet your dad when you brought your … by Ajay Govil
- Even though the miles and time and a pandemic have separated … by Mimi and John Winters
- My Uncle Art gave me many found memories during his long life. … by Jim Grochowski
- I have very fond memories of Art from when I was at ASU with … by Bob Judge
- Plus 5 more…